2019 Alpha Chapter Founders Scholarship Recipients
We are pleased to announce our scholarship recipients for 2019:
Mary Maxon Scholarship Lilly Deeg – Zionsville, IN – Dance Major Meaghan Riveria – Hoffman Estates, IL – Theatre Major
Founders Scholarship Sarah Fox – Winamac, IN – English Major Kaci Mangus – Muncie, IN – Speech Language Pathology
Smith Sisters Gini Johnson – Anderson, IN – General Studies
In addition to Founders Scholarships, established through the Mary Maxon endowment, Psi Iota Xi is involved with other scholarships, housed within the Ball State University Foundation and granted annually to students in accordance with the criteria of the scholarships. All scholarships assist students in areas embraced by Psi Iota Xi Sorority.
Contributions may be made to any scholarship fund by sending a gift, designating the scholarship, to: Ball State University Foundation, P.O. Box 672, Muncie, IN 47308.
Named scholarships supported by Alpha Chapter include: Fine Arts Scholarship, Mary Maxon Music Scholarship, Smith Sisters Scholarship, Eva Kessler English Scholarship, Emma Cammack Modern Languages and Classics Scholarship, Mayme Johnson Oesterle Music Scholarship, Martha Ivins Speech and Hearing Scholarship.
Fine Arts Scholarship (Account#2551)
This scholarship was established to provide scholarships to talented undergraduate students in the College of Fine Arts without regard to financial need. Awards are made to talented Ball State students majoring in visual arts or theatre and dance, and who are enrolled at least half-time. Talent component is the most important criteria; cumulative GPA must be at least 2.8, with a 3.2 in the area of major on a 4.0 scale. Financial need is not required. The College of Fine Arts is responsible for the selection process.
· The fund was established by the sorority in December of 1987.
· The fund was originally established as an expendable fund with a $10,000 gift. In October 1990, $7,000 of this was restricted and used to change the fund to an endowed scholarship.
· Since the initial gift, there has been an additional $1,795 donated to the fund ($1,290 from the chapter and $505 from individuals.) The last gift was in June 2009.
Mary Maxon Music Scholarship (Account #5767)
The purpose of this fund is to provide a scholarship to assist a Ball State University undergraduate with their education expenses who is an outstanding musician and a scholar of high character without regard to financial need. The recipient must be enrolled half-time or more and must meet minimum GPA established by the College of Fine Arts for all scholarship recipients. Financial need does not need to be demonstrated. Scholarship may be renewed at the discretion of the Scholarship Selection Committee provided recipient meets the established criteria. The School of Music is responsible for the selection process.
· The fund was established by the sorority in August 1984.
· It was endowed with an initial gift of $15,000.
· Since the initial gift, there have been two additional contributions, both from the sorority, totaling $710.
Alpha Chapter Scholarship (Account #30064)
These funds were created to provide assistance to BSU students to meet their educational expenses. The criteria are: full time student, at least sophomore status, GPA at least 3.0/4.0 and demonstrated financial need. The Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid is responsible for the selection process.
· The fund was established by the sorority in 1978.
· The endowed fund was established with a $10,000 contribution.
· By 1995, the fund had grown to $25,000. In December 1995, the sorority added an additional $78,905.21 to the fund in honor of the sorority’s 100th Anniversary. This brought the endowed balance up to $100,000.
· In addition to the contribution noted above, there has been an additional $48,370 contributed to the fund over time (all but $10 of this came from the chapter).
The Psi Iota Xi Founders Scholarships
Consists of 4 scholarships of equal amounts and they are treated as one account. They are named for the four founders of our sorority. They are referred to as:
Eva Kessler English Scholarship
Emma Cammack Modern Languages and Classics Scholarship
Mayme Johnson Oesterle Music Scholarship
Martha Ivins Speech and Hearing Scholarship
Smith Sister Scholarship (Account #30114)
The purpose is to assist a Ball State University undergraduate student, preferably a non-traditional student, in meeting their educational expenses. The recipient must demonstrate financial need, be an undergraduate student (with no previously earned degree) of at least part time status, at least sophomore standing and be a member of the Non-Traditional Student Association. The Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid is responsible for the selection process.
· The fund was established by the sorority in November 1990.
· The fund was endowed with an initial gift of $5,000. Agnes Rettig had given a gift to the sorority in memory of her three sisters. The sorority then opted to use $5,000 to establish a scholarship fund in honor of the Smith’s Sisters.
· In addition to the initial gift, $2,295 has been contributed to the fund ($1,595 from the Alpha Chapter, $600 from the Eta Omega Chapter, and $100 in Misc. gifts.)
How these Scholarships are managed:
· The Ball State Foundation manages these scholarships.
· The principal in these accounts do not fluctuate. They never increase or decrease with gains or losses in the stock market because they are managed as “Stable Value” Funds.
· The Alpha Chapter Scholarship Committee meets twice during the year with the Ball State Foundation to receive updates on these funds.
If you have any questions, please contact:
Amy C. Thomas
Associate Vice President for Fund Stewardship
Ball State University Foundaiton
P.O. Box 672Muncie, IN 47308
765-285-70681-888-235-0058 (Toll Free)